Functionality at a Glance
The Dispute Management system provides a full range of features to enable customers to manage and resolve disputes that have been generated from any Billtrust product.
● Fully configurable settings
● Supports for full and partial-invoice disputes
● Provides dispute audit trail of when various value have been modified ● Ability to attach a document
● A dispute can be applied across multiple invoices
● Reporting provides actionable information which can be distributed within the organization
To activate Disputes, select the tenant from Companies, select Platform and toggle Dispute Management to “On”.
Once activated, you can now begin configuration. Start by opening the Dispute settings:
Notifications will be the first item to configure. Depending upon customer preference, notifications can be configured for real-time updates or a once-daily notification of all dispute activity for the previous day. Notifications can be configured by assignee but must be turned on for the tenant. Open the edit screen by clicking on the kebab menu:
● To configure the “Daily Digest”, which sends just one email per day: o Toggle the Daily Digest to “On”
o Select the customer’s time zone
o Enter the time they want to receive the email.
● To configure real-time updates, toggle “All Updates” to on. ● For both types of updates, toggle both to “On”.
Departments are a way to group Dispute reasons. For example, dispute reasons of “Not Delivered” or “Broken” might both be associated with the Shipping Department. Since Department is a required field for Assignees and for Dispute Reasons, Departments should be added first.
Select “Dispute Department” from the list on the Dispute Settings and then click “New Dispute Department”
Dispute Department only requires Department Code. Name is optional.
ADDITIONAL CONFIGURATION FOR DEPARTMENTS
Once the remainder of your configuration is complete, you can return to edit dispute department to:
● Flag the Default department
● Configure notifications for assigned users
● Select a default user for the department
Assignees are people that will be assigned a dispute for resolution. There are two types of assignees:
● A Billtrust user is user who is defined within the Billtrust system. This assignee will have full access to manage Disputes in the Billtrust platform. The Billtrust user must be setup as a user before configuring as an assignee.
● A non-Billtrust user does not have a Billtrust ID. This assignee will be notified of disputes but does not have access to the Billtrust platform.
Select “Dispute Assignee” from the list on the Dispute Settings page and click “New Dispute Assignee”. Then select the type of user.
For Billtrust users, simply select the user and the department they’re associated with.
For non-Billtrust users, you must enter:
● First and Last Name
● Email Address
● Dispute Department
Once created, editing and assignee allows you to change the users department or change their status:
Dispute categories allow our customers to group their Dispute Reasons by category and to flag whether the Dispute Reason is visible internally, externally or both (shared). In configuring Categories and Reasons, there is some back and forth between the two but a Dispute Reason cannot be created without a category.
Select “Dispute Category” from the list on the Dispute Settings page and click “New Dispute Category”.
● Enter the Dispute Category ID, which is required
● Optionally, enter name.
Now that Dispute Categories have been setup, Dispute Reasons can be configured. Select “Dispute Reason” from the list on the Dispute Settings page and click “New Dispute Reason”.
● Select the Dispute Category
● Add the Dispute Reason ID
● Optionally, add the Name
● Select if it’s an “Active” Dispute Reason
● And select if the Dispute Reason’s visibility
o Internal Only means that the Dispute Reason is visible only to the supplier
o External Only means that the Dispute Reason is visible only to the buyer
o Share means that the Dispute Reason is visible to both the buyer and supplier
Once you have completed setting up your Dispute Reason, you can return to Dispute Categories and finish configuring your default reason codes.
● If the Dispute Reason was set to Internal Only, that Dispute Reason will be listed in the “Default Internal Reason Code” list.
● If the Dispute Reason was set to External Only, that Dispute Reason will be listed in the “Default External Reason Code” list.
● If the Dispute Reason was set to Shared, that Dispute Reason will be listed in both the “Default Internal Reason Code List” and the “Default External Reason Code” list.
Finally, Dispute Resolutions are configured. Select “Dispute Resolution” from the list on the Dispute Settings page and click “New Dispute Resolution”.
● Add Dispute Resolution ID, which is required
● Optionally, add Name
● By default, the Resolution is Active
● Indicate if this Resolution is for Valid Disputes only.
o If unchecked, the resolution is for both Valid and Invalid Disputes
Once the Dispute Resolution has been created, the customer has the option to select a Dispute Reason to apply if the invoice is closed when there is an open dispute. The “Apply when invoice Closed” option is available in the kebab menu for the Dispute Resolution that will be applied.